Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Storyteller's Challenge n. 13 - Procrastinating





Here's a short scene of what basically happened this day:

Writing Era: You know, it's 1 pm and you're still fresh. You could write now.
Lazy Era: Naah, later. I'm used to writing in the afternoon, anyway.
4 hours later
Writing Era: Okay, so now it's 5 o'clock. No excuses for not writing anymore.
Lazy Era: Okay, okay, calm down, I'll do it now!
Gaming Era: Oooh, look, Assassin's Creed II!
Writing Era: But...
Gaming Era: Oh, come on, you always write at 7, anyway.
2 hours and something later
Gaming Era: Heeey, why is Ezio not moving?! Don't tell me it's bugged! Come on, Ezio, move, pick up those blades! Mo... Wow, is it really 7:30?!
Writing Era: Write, NOW.
Gaming Era: But my gameeee! Come on Ezio, move!
Writing Era: Not moving. Come on, or you'll lose the Challenge.
Gaming Era: But you don't even have any ideas!
Writing Era: ...I'll work something out. I'm starting to write right nowwwww...
Dad: Era, let's watch a movie together!! (Personal code for "Let's watch Star Trek together!")
Writing Era: But... But...
Trekkie Era: Shut up girl, you'll write later! It's just 40 minutes!! Hey, wait a minute, this is Planet of Apes, not Star Trek!
Dad: Yup, you ought to see the old one, not just Dawn.
Writing Era: But!!
Movie-goer Era: Oh, shut up, you'll write later!!

So here I am, past 10 pm, after seeing a movie which made no sense to me whatsoever, and I'll hopefully start writing  now...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Says pretty much all I need to say


I stare blankly at the page. A battle is waging in my head - I can hear the screams, see the tactics, feel the emotions of those involved. Would work out fine, but every time I lay my fingers on the keyboard the voices shut up and the scene goes away. So here I am, three hours trying to write a stupid battle scene with no use whatsoever.

I've tried out everything. Written rows upon rows of senseless words. Copied battle scenes from other books. Hell, even played a strategy game (of course, juuuust for the sake of writing). I think I deserve a rest right now.

And rest I do. I make myself hot chocolate, ignoring the scorching sun outside, flop down in my couch and stare at the window.

The night is so beautiful. The stars glimmer in the distance, a dark cloud shrouds the moon from my view. Crickets sing, cars run, someone is yelling in what I'm pretty sure is Chinese. Or Korean. Or whatever.

For a second, a minute, an hour, I stare at the sky, breathing in the fresh air of the night and letting my mind wonder. A fly passes near me, and for a moment I see the moonlight reflected in its wings. Images of raw beauty strike my mind, and I really should be getting back to the story, but just thinking about writing makes the images go away.

Oh, well. Procrastinating is fun, anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment