Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Storyteller's Challenge n. 4 - A storyteller's name



Yay! Fourth day! Only three to go. Now, remember what this challenge is called? The Storyteller's Challenge! Of course you do, it's written on every story title :P Well, today we'll be talking about storytellers!
Before you ask, no, not mine. There we go again *sigh*


"Tell us a story!"
"Yes, sir, tell us a story!"
Said 'sir' chuckled slightly. "Which one will it be tonight, then?"
"A new one!"
"Yes, a new one!"
"Have I told you about the elven queen? The one which beauty rivaled that of every other? Or wait -- how about the Thousand-Year War between the three Ancients? A long time ago there were - and there still are - three great beings. They are so tall, humans mistake them for mountains, but should you look at the sky, you can see the clouds covering their heads. They go by many names: titans, stone giants, but their-"
"Bard, tell us a lighter story, please! I'll have nightmares!"
'Bard' sighed, looking at the kid's frown, then immediately lighted up.
"I know! You know of Freyg, the legendary knight?"
"Of course!"
"Do you know what happened during the years of his absence?" After a long silence, the storyteller clasped his hands together.
"Freyg's deeds were known all over the world, by that time. Tales of his adventures were told by minstrels and, yes, bards like me. Then he suddenly disappeared, one day." He waited a moment, keeping the kids in suspence.
"Tales tell that, one day, he was walking in the forest, as he did everyday. Suddenly, a shadow appeared. It looked a young girl's - but he couldn't be certain. He followed it and..."

Bard grinned gently as he put his cape on the sleeping children.
"Mmh, Bard, sir?" The young girl was awake.
"What is it, Hawk Eyes?"
"What's your name?"
"I won't tell you. Just call me 'Bard.'"
"Why? I need a name to remember you by."
Bard chuckled yet again.
"You won't remember me by my name, but by my stories. My name is not that important."
The little girl frowned and rubbed her eyes sleepily. "It's okay, I guess. Good night, Bard." she yawned.
"Farewell, Hawk Eyes." he murmured.
Then he disappeared into the night, leaving no sign of his existence but the memory of his stories.





It's... not that good. But, oh, I suppose it would be impossible to be satisfied by every story. It's decent, though, right. I might even like it. Meh, I can't distinguish between what is good and what is not, right now. Please tell me what you think of this!
This turned out longer than I had expected it to be. And the characters are all nameless! (Hawk Eyes is not her name!)
This story was also inspired by the great song "The Bard's Song" by Blind Guardian. Go listen to it immediately! It's an order!

No comments:

Post a Comment