Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Lexie" preview

Here is a part of a currently-unknown-length story I’m writing! It’s called “Lexie” and it’s a science fiction that takes place in about two centuries from now. Why? Because I needed a different society and it talks about science. I’m not a scientist and I tend to overly worry about whether what I’ve written is correct or not. In 200 years science will be different and I can say every stupid thing I need to fit the story. Why? Don’t question the writer! Oh, right, Simus’ character lacks of a description, because that’s in an earlier point in the story. It was all science talk, anyway so I cut it for this preview.
 

(Kina)

I catch a movement with the corner of my eye, and in a few seconds my claws have passed through the enemy’s heart.
Hihihihi. I love this technology the smart ones invented.
Kina Yorukaze, age 14, hired assassin, that’s what’s written on that card I have to show people after missions. Hand-to-hand expert fighter, officially, because the higher-ups don’t like admitting they hired someone who stabs her victims to death without having taken any blade lessons. Ah, and lately, I’ve also been a cyborg. I love this project.
Another one, on my right. He lifts his sword and tries to strike me. As if I was still there. Before he is even able to realize it, my teeth have sliced through his throat. Again, cyborg stuff. Wolf teeth, love them.
<<OK.>> What? We’re already done? I glance at the man who’s watching me from a glass panel above. I don’t wanna go.
<<No.>> My simple denial throws him in a panic. I smile as he tries to maintain control. He can’t fool me, though. His pupils dilate and he bites his lip nervously. Kina is scary, eh? Hihihihi!
Yay, I can stay here! And kill people, and watch their blood run down my hand. It doesn’t feel as real blood, though. It isn’t warm, nor viscous. Maybe I should just kill that guy.
Nah, not now. I’ll just kill some people here, then that guy over there. It’s even better than my work! I get to kill people and I don’t have to hide. They don’t scream as my victims, though. Victims are funnier to kill, they spill a lot more blood. I’m so glad I’m a genius! If I wasn’t, I’d still be at military academy now. But I’m a genius, and I get to kill people, hihihihihi!
<<Yorukaze. We’re done.>> I look at the glass panel and I see the admiral. The great illustrious bastard has come to ruin my fun! That’s awful!
I take off those thingies they have placed on me to absorb my strength or something. They itch and limit my movements, I’m glad I can take them off. Better be fast, though, Mr. I’m-so-high-and-mighty looks pretty angry.
Oops, he knows about it.
I slowly open the door and watch as the lights go off and the room becomes dark. There’s no need to be quick, is there? If I’m to be punished, I might as well unnerve him some more.
<<Yorukaze!>> Alright, alright, I’m coming! I wait with a bored expression as he collects his breath before talking. I already know what he’s going to say.
<<You didn’t go to yesterday’s training session.>>
<<Of course I didn’t, there was nothing new that idiot could teach me.>>
<<Yes, of course.>> Even he has to admit I’m a genius <<But the so-called idiot didn’t go either.>>
Hihihihi, I bet he didn’t! How could he? There was so much blood. So warm! He was annoying me, anyway. And the blood was so warm and red!
<<That’s your fifth time in three months.>> Aw, damn! Five times is not good. Not good at all!
<<Another unauthorized murder will force us to take measures.>> Oh.
What the hell?
Hihihi. Hihihihihihi! This project must be really important, if they are willing to tolerate my fifth unauthorized killing. I probably could kill as many people as I want and they wouldn’t do anything. I stare at the admiral, who is walking away, then at the scars on my arms.
Better not to take any unnecessary risks. It wouldn’t be nice if they took measures.
<<Go to your training session, tomorrow. It’s an order.>> Yeah, yeah, if I’ll want to, I’ll go. No training today, though? Of course, silly me, there’s no teacher.
Well, that means I have a free day. What should I do? I’m bored.
I should just return to my quarters and play a game. Games are fun, even though not as much fun as killing people.
I suddenly hear a scream. A horrible, high-pitched scream. It was so faint any normal ears wouldn’t have heard it, but my cyborg ears heard it, and it was beautiful. Certainly no human’s scream, though. An animal’s scream.
That’s great!
My heart beats faster, adrenaline rushes in my veins. No one misses animals. I could kill animals, because they’re worthless. They would never know anything, and I get to kill something. Hihihihihi!





(Simus)

Thomas threw his reader away. <<This is futile! We can’t alter the laws of Physics itself! These charts are nothing but meaningless lines.>> His patience has reached to an end. I surely can’t blame him - my own patience has been running low for a while.
<<Yes.>> They are meaningless. They truly are, but it wouldn’t be wise to say it out loud, especially now. <<But you should think outside the box. Stop looking at the lines, at the charts. What is gravity?>>
<<An unbreakable, sacred law of Physics.>> he barks. I’ve never seen Thomas like this.
<<Rules and laws are meant to be broken.>> I watch him calmly, expecting another nervous outburst. Instead, he looks at me like an alien was seated in my place, then starts laughing uncontrollably.
<<Did I say something funny?>>
<<Who are you, and what did you do of Simus Finn? Did you hide his body anywhere near?>>
<<Thomas? It’s me.>>
<<Oh, it’s evidently you. Seriously, kid, have you never heard a joke in your life? Now, you might want to tell me if you have a second personality. That was so unlike you.>>
<<Huh?>>
<<”Rules and laws are meant to be broken”. Where did you get that from? Simus Finn would have never said that.>>
<<Physics’ laws are unbreakable, but we can elude them. That’s what I mea…>>
<<Yes, yes, I know! Come on, shrimp, let’s get back to work before you try saying anything else. That great mind of yours has a couple of problems, if you ask me.>>
I didn’t ask for your opinion. Well, as long as he goes back to work, it’s fine by me. My mind has no problem at all. I wonder which one of us is really a child.
<<Thomas, Simus! I found a way!>>
<<
What?!>> we scream in unison, as Jessie Borderie comes running toward us. His glasses are dangerously in balance on the tip of his nose, which makes me adjust my own glasses. <<A gravitational camp.>> he declares proudly.
Oh, for God’s sake! That’s the sixteenth time.
<<Jessie…>>
<<Shut! Let me finish, first. A gravitational camp that reacts to the Earth core.>>
<<That’s impossible!>> I’m rarely one to say that it’s impossible, but it is.
<<It’s not! About fifty years ago it was confirmed that from the core come magnetic waves of various strengths. That’s why metallic objects tend to fall faster, weight has nothing to do with it.>>
<<I don’t remember reading that last part in any Physics book, Jessie.>> I sigh.
<<’Course not! No one thought of it before.>>
<<That isn’t in any way supported by any scientific proof, nor it is useful to our purpose.>>
<<See, that’s Simus Finn, not the one before.>> interrupts Thomas, clearly enjoying the moment. I give him an emotionless glare.
Jessie doesn’t care about neither of us: <<We can prove it! We will! And if it is true…>>
<<We will use a gravitational camp exactly like the one in here.>> I conclude. It would be simple. That, if his theory
is true.
<<Simus, go take an interchangeable magnet in N. 3 Lab. We’re transferring to a 0G1
room!>>
<<Hmm. You’ll have to convince Jane, first.>> Thomas looks like he’s having fun. At the mention of Jane every bit of color disappears from Jessie’s face.
<<I’ll manage, somehow.>> Thomas’ smile is even wider, now.
<<Alright, then. I’ll help you. Shrimp, you going or what?>>
I quickly walk away, overly excited for Jessie’s theory. I’m running down the hall on my way to N. 3 Lab, when I remember it’s been transferred elsewhere. On the other side of the building. Ugh!
I quickly turn around and start running in the opposite direction. That is, until something incredibly heavy hit me in motion.
As I reput on my glasses, which had fallen after the impact, I hear a low sob. Why is this person crying? I watch him carefully. His hair is uncombed and his clothes have multiple scratches on them. But his eyes, his eyes are the most horrible thing. The eyes of someone who has just seen disaster fall upon humanity.
Behind his eyes, I recognize him. Jim something, he was in my university’s Biology course.
<<Jim?>> He looks at me with those eyes and sends shivers down my spine.
<<S-Simus… Simus Finn?>> I nod and help him lean on the wall.
<<Jim, what happened?>> He stares at me, and for a few seconds I don’t know if he recognizes my presence. Then he starts trembling and crying, shaking my arms violently.
<<T-that t-thing… i-it’s n-not h-h-human…>> he sobs.
<<What? What is not human?>>
He ignores me: <<I-it’s their fault… t-they m-made me do i-it! It’s the Alliance’s2
f-fault…>> The Alliance’s fault?
<<T-that t-thing is h-horrible… s-so m-much b-blood…>> Blood?! I tighten my grasp on his shoulders.
<<Where is there blood, Jim? What has happened?>>
He stares at me with those empty eyes. <<It’s the N. 6 L-lab… i-it’s in t-there…>>
N. 6 Lab. Those words are familiar. N. 6 Lab is strictly forbidden to everyone but a few authorized men. I take Jim’s hand and guide him to our laboratory. My colleagues give me alarmed glances, but I can’t think about that, now.
I need to go in the N. 6 Lab.



A couple of notes:
1)”0G” is short for “zero-gravity”
2) The Alliance is explained earlier in the story.  Speria and Ethen are two cities which have hated each other for a long time. Then Rasha, one of the greatest military forces in the world, declares war upon both of them and they are forced to forge an Alliance. Both Kina and Simus (Kina is from Speria, Simus from Ethen, though that will be explained late in the story), along with several hundred people, are employed to work on a project to build a weapon that could contrast Rasha’s power.

I hope you liked it! Leave a comment, be it a positive one or constructive criticism - both are more than welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment